Painting 4Ground Damageable Walls

With every new painting project I like to expand my collection of wargaming scenery, and the latest necessitated me getting some 28mm scale rendered brick walls.  Having seen some of the very impressive laser-cut precision wood kits on the market, I decided to get some of the wall sets from 4Ground.

They arrived in the post very promptly and I set about getting to work.  Each of the kits includes detailed instructions and a painting guide which are useful for tips on completing your walls.  I followed roughly the same guidelines as provided by the 4Ground team.

The two packs I got, Damageable Long Walls and Damageable Short Walls, measure 38” each; plenty for my purposes and well priced at a total of £17.  The wall sections come in two halves that need to be glued together.  I constructed the first set of walls before rendering and painting, but rendered the second set on the sprue.  Either method is fine but I preferred and found it slightly easier to make them first.  Besides, who can resist constructing a new kit when it arrives?  Cleverly, the wall sections have sections that you can pop so that they are damaged, or you can choose to keep them undamaged.

4ground long walls      4ground short walls

For the rendering, I simply bought a tester pot of masonry paint from the hardware store and mixed in some fine sand.  This was painted on and allowed to dry.  The first picture below shows the rendering painted on and drybrushed while still on the sprue, the second shows the same result on a constructed wall.  Click on the pictures to view a bigger photo in a new window.

Rendering            Rendering


 

The next stage was to base all of the brickwork for which I have a no longer available but very big hobby paint pot that does the job.  The bricks were dryrushed a couple of times then different inks were selectively applied so that some of the bricks turned out darker than others.  Once this was done I applied ink to the render, again using different inks to vary the weathering, always ensuring that I made it darker near the base.

Finished

A bit of sand applied to the bases was painted and the odd bit of tuft was glued on and they were done.  Overall 76” of walls was done over three evenings while watching movies about the very period that the terrain is for!

I liked these so much that we decided to stock them in the GEG store.  Look in the Basing/Terrain section:  link